Now Reading: Bright Awards: Win money for you and your school

Bright Awards: Win money for you and your school

Meet our Bright Awards winners

Every day at Torrens University Australia is different.

We have students at Billy Blue College of Design at Torrens University working on projects in gaming, software engineering, interior design, graphic design, fashion and so much more. We exist in a whirlwind of creativity, passion and excitement, and we’re constantly inspired by the work of our students – their sheer passion, imagination and talent is something we want to see more of.

What are the Bright Awards?

We introduced the Bright Awards to give a platform for emerging talent in Australia to express themselves, and to gain confidence in adventuring into a career in design and creative technology.

The Bright Awards are a nation-wide creative arts competition designed specifically for high school students in years 10, 11 and 12. The Bright Awards feature seven categories: Animation, Graphic Design, Games, Web and Interaction, Fashion, Photography, Interior Design.

Also – we should probably mention that the winners are not only the ones to benefit, they receive a cash prize of $1000 to continue pursuing their creative careers, but their school also receives $3000 to continue providing an environment for emerging talent to exercise their skills in design and creative technology.

Submissions for the 2020 Bright Awards are now closed and this year was bigger and better than ever. We’ll keep you posted when Bright Awards reopen here.

Should you apply for Bright Awards?

If you’re reading this and wondering whether or not to apply, the answer is yes. Get inspired from our previous winners and learn more about their Bright Awards experience. Enter Bright Awards in 2021! Find out more about how your submission can win you the major prize!

Meet our 2020 Bright Awards winners

Graphic Design

Vesna Lawson, Canobolas Rural Technology High School

Web & Interaction

Emily Dunne, Mentone Girls Grammar School

Animation

Andrew Land, Freshwater Senior Campus

Photography

Natalia Bendikov, Woodville High School

Interior Design

Antonia Moulos, Santa Sabina College

Games

Van-Andrew Nguyen, Sydney Boys High School

Fashion

Georgia Castle-Davey, Kelvin Grove State College

Hear from our previous Bright Awards winners

SHANNON HINDLE

Shannon Hindle graduated year 12 in 2018 and had dreams in making it big in the fashion industry. Shannon put together her portfolio similar to the one she had been using for fashion school interviews. At the time of applying, Shannon was doubting herself about whether or not she had what it takes to make it in the fashion industry – until that lucky phone call telling her she won. “A few weeks after the HSC I got a call from Billy Blue College of Design and it straight away gave me the confidence and self-belief that I was making the right decision. Without this opportunity, I could very well still be doubting my capabilities within the fashion and art world.”

“Winning has allowed me to expand my skills and further myself in the fashion design industry.” – Shannon

Shannon used the prize money to purchase materials and equipment for her to pursuit her dreams in the fashion industry.

JAMES CORBEN

James Corben is a Bright Awards winner from 2017 who submitted a series of work in the category of photography. James entered after seeing advertisements for Bright Awards online and used his passion for photography to give him the confidence to apply.

“I can recall the time I received the phone call from Billy Blue and being lost for words, it was surreal. I was honoured to have been selected to receive this award amongst such a talented and creative group of young people.” – James

In 2019, James took the year off to travel, explore the world and capture every moment he can. With a goal at studying Business and Media at University, photography will always be a part of his life.

CAITLIN CAO

Caitlin found out about the Bright Awards from her teacher, who assured her she had the talent to submit in the category of Animation.

“Winning the Bright Awards gave me the confidence to produce something that I am proud of and it’s encouraged me to practice more. I used the prize money to purchase equipment and technology to advance my craft.” – Caitlin

LISA VU

When Lisa found out she was a Bright Award winner she was truly astounded. Like many of our applicants, Lisa doubted she had what it took to win – but like many, she was wrong! Lisa was awarded a Bright Award in the category of ‘Games’ and used a piece from her HSC major work to apply.

“Winning this was a pivotal moment for because for the first time in my life, I felt like I could achieve something not just academically, but creatively as well.” – Lisa

Bright Awards will be back next year

All of these stories have two things in common:

At some point along the way they doubted themselves, however, they all also won.

We hear about this a lot with the Bright Awards, students doubt whether they’ve got what it takes. We’re looking for the passionate, the creative and the proud – so apply next year, because if our 2020 and previous winners let their confidence stop them, they wouldn’t be Bright Awards winners!

For more information on how to apply and entry criteria, please visit the Bright Awards webpage.

Find a course
You Love

Contact Us

Categories

All writers